Wednesday 25 November 2009

sleepy

earlier this school year, i tried to subsist on five hours of sleep a day - my rationale being it was possible to train oneself to sleep less and less.

let's be honest, as nice as sleep is, we waste a huge chunk of our day doing it. productivity could increase by 30% overnight (pardon the pun) if we didn't need to sleep. people who get around on less sleep have more time to work, to see friends, to pick up a hobby, to do all those things that make us human. since really, if we liken being awake to being alive, then a similar parallel can be drawn between sleeping and being dead.

i succeeded at doing the five-hour a night routine for a few weeks, but then i crashed. crashed in the sense that my autoimmune arthritis was potentially triggered by this. now, i struggle to stay awake at 1030 after sleeping for five hours the night before. whether this is because of my medications or because i am just weak, i do not know.

alas, what a failed experiment :(

luckily, different people surely respond differently to sleep deprivation. even though i was unable to succeed, you may be able to! i highly recommened trying this little sleep-less experiment if you foresee a busy future.

3 comments:

  1. I do not recommend it... I think there was over a year where I went on around 5 hrs a night. It seemed ok, but I think it kinda messed up my body a bit cause now sometimes my hand shakes uncontrollably like when one doesn't sleep and is really tired. It happens in the most random of times and I think you can function on the most basic physical level and still work, but other things start getting messed up, like memory and physical recovery and all... so yeah... not as recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sleep is for the weak... or perhaps you're just growing older and wiser

    ReplyDelete
  3. but do you think that not sleeping leads you to be less effective in your daily activities? yes you may have more time to do more, but if you are functioning under par, I would think that you haven't really gained anything besides spreading yourself thin.

    ReplyDelete