Thursday 14 May 2009

white girls

I am staying on the international floor at the nursing hostel, on currently on my floor are three Finnish nurses. They have lovely Finnish-English accents and have been telling me much about the glory that is Scandinavia. Apparently, not only do they not pay tuition, the government pays them a monthly living stipend while they are attending school that can cover their rent and then some! What an idyllic little place Finland, and probably all of Scandinavia is.

Alas, that is not the nature of my post. I remember a few years ago, a friend of mine did some work in Africa and came to the attention of a young African man, who professed love, undying devotion, marriage, etc... Well, it seem that here in Lusaka, my three pale-skinned Finnish friends receive persistent attention from a slew of Zambian men - men who have indeed professed love, undying devotion, marriage, etc... The men here definitely do seem more forthcoming when talking to the women, and I'm sure the exotic nature of the pale skin does nothing but enhance their determination. It's very different from what boys are like in North America. I'm quite sure if they were to adopt the tactics undertaken by their African counterparts, there would be many more slaps across the face, cold shoulders, and restraining orders. Oh how fascinating and multitudinous are the ways people live life.

No comments:

Post a Comment