Sunday 10 May 2009

Nairobi

Auspiciously, internet cafes seem to abound in the places I have been (and hopefully, the place I end up in).

I arrived in Nairobi a few hours ago, and am just waiting to board an Air Kenya flight to Lusaka. The staff were very friendly in sorting out a little kerfuffle I had with my luggage. Earlier today, I had the chance to explore a bit of downtown London - an unexpected bonus from having an 8 hour layover at Heathrow. I walked around (no plantar so far, whew!), saw some sights, and had a nice little snack warp somewhere.

The most interesting thing I saw in my brief ambulations were the war memorials erected for soldiers from different countries in the Commonwealth. Their inscriptions were filled with gravitas... I took some pictures, and perhaps I will post them later. On the topic of sacrifice, on my flight from London to Nairobi, I saw Milk. It tells the tale of Harvey Milk, America's first major elected official (councillor of San Francisco) who was openly gay and his struggles in fighting for gay rights. To think that only 30 years ago, gays were such openly hated in a place like SF (and that the Castro district was nothing but a regular community)...

No comments:

Post a Comment