Sunday 10 May 2009

BAA Heathrow

As the passengers of British Airways Flight 116 with service from New York to London were about to disembark the flight today, the pilot made the following announcement:

"It seems we will be delayed since the sky bridge [connecting terminal to airplane] is malfunctioning. This is rather unusual since a plane just left before we arrived and they had no problems..."

A rather happy lady sitting diagonally behind me proceeded to say, in a lovely British accent:

"Heathrow is the most dysfunctional airport ever - it'll probably take an hour to get our luggage..."

Just before I boarded this flight, I was strolling back and forth across JFK airport and it occurred to me how accessible the world really is. The radius of the planet is something like 6400 km (if I remember correctly), making for a circumference of slightly over 40,000 km. Large numbers? Maybe.... the flight from NY to London was only 5.5 hours, my friend's flight from Toronto to Hong Kong a little longer at 16 hours. Another friend of mine just moved to Toronto, which seems very far, but Air Canada will get you there in less than 4 fours! The point is, as far away as many places seem to be, they are no more than a day away on the modern aircraft. And I for one have spent many a day in routine monotony...

I will try to update as regularly as possible!

P.S. I managed to get my luggage in less than 15 minutes.

1 comment: